13 Replies

Trackback  •  Comments RSS

Sites That Link to this Post

1. Rhetoric on My Mind | Tracing: Disability – Round #2/#3 | July 4, 2013
  1. That’s a very interesting read, I’ve taken quite a liking to this blog. My question is, when will social media platforms become more like eCommerce sites and platforms where they can be held civilly liable for not being accessible for customers. If memory serves me right, target got into quite a bit of trouble when a customer sued because they weren’t able to do something on their site. I wonder if Facebook would be as responsive.

2. Jaime Daignault says:

Thank you for this article. Social media is a critical tool for all of us – including all people with disabilities. Do you know of any efforts to develop apps that would allow individuals with cognitive or learning disabilities to access posts and create posts of their own? I am thinking specifically of non-readers.

3. Percetakan says:

quite informative tips to improve user experience , thanks

4. Panoramy 360 says:

Good article, I agree.

5. joe says:

Have you noticed the image in the article has Accessibility spelt wrong?
    #pedant

• Mario Damiani says:

Joe, the irony is incredible, isn’t it? I don’t think a concern about an obvious misspelling makes you a pedant at all. We appreciate your find and I’ll talk to the appropriate people to take care of that.

6. Dean says:

This myth seems to be an outgrowth of the erroneous assumption that people with disabilities do not have the same general life experiences (living independently, working, marrying, parenting, attaining educational success

7. In terms of civil liability I wouldn’t begin to speculate. The Department of Justice issued an Advance Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) on the Accessibility of Web Information

8. floyd says:

The myths are very well stated. I really hope this blog trail reaches people it can influence. I have 2 comments.

1. It is remarkable to me that with billions of users, FaceBook seems to be feeling no heat whatsoever to move towards an accessible application. Perhaps I’ve answered my own comment however. With billions of users, why would they pay any attention.
    As a long time accessibility tester using screen readers for State government I’ve have always been amazed at how developers in the ‘don’t get it’ arena will spend days/weeks/months on the newest gadget then freeze up when asked to add a skip to content link.
    2. It’s important that people realize that only those ecommerce businesses under the glass have made efforts for accessible sites. A whole lot are cumbersome and sloppy at best and not usable at all at worst.

9. dtacbb says:

For me, it is really important to know the insurance company well before making a transaction in purchasing an auto insurance. It really pays to know much about the company so trust can be built within the process. It is possible to get the best deat on the web, but still, it is very vital to make a research fro friends or family before deciding. Thanks for sharing!

10. Prof Bernard says:

i think this is an area that social media companies have not been focusing on, but i also feel that if we start a campaign to make this issue known to them via the media and possibly a Facebook and twitter campaign this issue will be fixed in no time. the responsive time of these tech companies is very quick if u approach them via a fb or twitter campaign