The Department of Housing and Urban Development has two apps that can help citizens learn about their housing rights, locate housing counselors and file housing discrimination complaints.
The HUD Counselor Locator App allows smartphone and tablet users to locate housing counselors in their own area who can help
- distressed homeowners avoid foreclosure and obtain more favorable modifications.
- home buyers determine if they are ready for homeownership, and connect them with safer and more affordable mortgages.
- displaced families find alternate housing in the wake of natural disaster
The Housing Discrimination Complaint Application app provides the public with a quick and easy way to learn about their housing rights and to file housing discrimination complaints.
In addition the app
- provides information about the fair housing complaint process
- allows the public to access HUD’s toll-free discrimination hotline and link to HUD’s fair housing website: www.hud.gov/fairhousing
- can be used by individuals researching their housing rights after a natural disaster, when power outages make the iPhone/iPad one of the few ways to access the Internet.
- informs the housing industry about its responsibilities under the Fair Housing Act.
You can find more government apps like the ones from HUD on the USA.Gov Apps Gallery.Edit