These four steps can help you achieve good SEO:
- Register for the commercial search engines’ webmaster tools.
- Follow search protocols to improve indexing.
- How to Create a Robots .txt File
- How to Create an XML Sitemap (tools: Bing XML Sitemap Plugin and Google Sitemap Generator)
- How to Create Schema to Markup Structured Pages
- Stay current with recommendations for improving SEO.
- The Beginner’s Guide to SEO
- Collection of SEO-related documents from the Bing Ecosystem
- Search Engine Land’s Guide to SEO
- Google’s SEO Starter Guide (PDF, 4.12 MB, 32 pages, September 2010)
- Understand the building blocks of SEO.
There are key aspects of a website that need attention for search engines to identify, retrieve, and display the best content for a user’s search. The building blocks of good SEO include understanding:
- How commercial search engines work
- Site architecture
- Quality website content
- Search analytics